following paper will examine and discuss the history of a colonial American
house located in Ocean
County at 58 Sloop Creek Road, Bayville, New Jersey. This structure is generally referred to as the
and is thought to be, at least in part, upwards of 300 years old. The building consists of three distinct parts,
with the middle area being the oldest, the larger section on the west end erected
sometime in the mid-1800s, and a smaller, lean-to-like addition on the east
side that has not been identified in terms of its age. The Anderson
farm itself has a rich history, having passed through three centuries of
time. Over the course of its existence
it has been the home of slavery and the site of an assassination of a Tory,
witnessed the American Revolution, rumored to have been a stop along the
Underground Railroad (see photo below), welcomed many modern technologies including indoor
plumbing, electricity, heating, air conditioning, telephones, television and
both the ice box and the refrigerator.
Its occupants included many family names such as Chamberlain, Anderson,
Lawrence, Veeder and Nobles, all of which are well-known and proved to be
prominent in both Monmouth and Ocean
Counties. Currently, the house remains unoccupied, as
it was sold to a land developer in 2004.
It is in dire need of restoration and could be saved if an effort to do
so was put forth.
In terms of deed evidence, which will be studied in detail further along in this paper, the information was difficult and sometimes impossible to decipher as recorded records for the property go back as far as the hand-written documents distributed by the East Jersey Proprietors. Additionally, the boundaries described in those ancient instruments cannot be retraced because the surveyors were prone to using long-departed tree stumps as reference points and often cited place names known to them in their time, but are no longer used in our day. The only remaining fixed points are the two major streams that flow on the eastern end of the land, but it is likely that they two have changed in shape, size and direction since the 1600s. In the end what we are left with are suppositions and educated guesses and we will likely never have a complete and confident understanding of the exact proportions of the Anderson farm property.
Prior to European settlement of the area, the property was a prime resource for the Lenape and their prehistoric ancestors, who were attracted to the area by the rich soil that was so integral to their farming season and to the abundant waterways that provided them oysters, clams, crabs and fish. The property upon which the farmhouse was built, although expanded over the years in a series of land sales and transfers, was at it largest point roughly 250 acres and was used primarily for farming throughout the 18th and 19th centuries and part of the 20th century. It extended from what was called the Shore Road (now Route 9), from present day Buckley Avenue at the southwest point, to Sloop Creek Road at the northwest tip. The slightly-askew rectangular tract then ran fully eastward on both sides to the Barnegat Bay and at one point included some of the miniscule islands that dot the shoreline. Over time, the farm was partitioned and sold off to other farmers and then in the 20th century and what was left was given over to land developers that eventually subdivided and built several housing developments at various points throughout the tract. A large portion of the land is still undeveloped, however, mostly because the soil becomes progressively swampy as it makes its way toward the bay. Contemporary maps of the property show that the land belonging to the Anderson house is but a postage stamp compared to its original size, but even that is likely to change once the new owners move forward with their plans for subdivision and the eventual construction of single family homes. The house itself, according to an agreement between the new owners and the former, is supposed to remain and be “fixed up,” although it was made clear during a phone interview with the new owner’s lawyer that there is no agreement to necessarily restore the structure.
The original concept of this project was meant to include detailed photographic, architectural and archaeological surveys of the Anderson farm and its structures. After speaking to a legal representative for the owner of the property and submitting a written request for permission to work on the premises, however, the contact person never replied to the letter and refused to return any phone calls made by me to her office. It is for that unfortunate reason that the aforementioned surveys are not included in this paper. Having done some work on the property in the past with the permission of the former owner, I am in possession of some limited photographic and architectural evidence collected during that time, including a short video that shows some of the interior of the structure. Archaeological evidence could not be obtained, however, which is truly disheartening since there is obviously so much to be uncovered given the opportunity to do so.
The Anderson Farmhouse
The Anderson Farmhouse style varies as two additions were added at different points over roughly two hundred years. Facing north, one can see that the original structure (referred to from this point on as Section A), is sandwiched between the larger, two-story addition to the west (referred to from this point on as Section B), and a smaller, lean-to type structure to its east (referred to from this point on as Section C) (see photo below).
It is hard to distinguish exactly which side is the front and which is the back, as they both look as if they served that purpose. The northern exterior, however, has a completely different style than the southern side, which looks more like a farmhouse than does the former that has more of a colonial design. Dimensionally speaking, the perimeter of the house measures sixty feet and three inches long by twenty eight-feet and two inches wide. There is also a porch that adds an additional seven feet and ten inches to the overall length of the structure. The porch runs the entire length of the western end and wraps around the southern side for thirty-five feet in both directions. Section A measures in at twenty feet by twenty eight-feet and two inches, Section B at thirty-six feet by twenty-eight and two inches, and Section C at twelve foot and three inches by twenty eight-feet and two inches. The height of each section at any given point of the structure is unknown at this time, although Section A is approximately six feet lower than Section B. The roof in Section A, especially when viewed from the southern side, has a definite sway in the ridge. The entire A-frame style roof of the structure is laid with modern brown asphalt shingles and its foundation is constructed of sandstone.
The southern side of the structure, as was noted, sports a country-style farmhouse look that is radically different than that of the northern side (see top photo). It is sided with cedar shakes on both Section A and C. Section B is cedar shingles along the upper part above the porch, but has a white, cement finish under the porch beginning at about the middle of the building and continuing around to the west end. There are two entrances, each sporting modern aluminum storm doors, one of which is on the extreme eastern end of the house leading into Section C, and the other roughly in the middle of building leading into a foyer in Section B. The latter is a Dutch-style, six-pane solid wood door that is in fairly good shape and has a five inch cast iron door knocker located just below where the door splits (see photo below). A brass-type doorknob is located to the left side on the upper portion of the door. There are ten windows on this side of the house, although it can clearly be seen that one of the windows was once a doorway, and all have the same storm window coverings as do those on the north side. Two of those windows are located in dormers along the roof in Section B. The porch is largely dilapidated and falling down and its deck is full of holes and appears to be dangerous to walk on. The joists underneath are clearly visible and are numbered with Roman numerals. There are four posts holding up what is left of the porch roof that appear to be somewhat modern.
The western end of the house bears a cedar shake and cement covering combination and also has four porch posts, although that roof is now completely gone, as is the decking along the ground (see photo below). There are six windows on this side with the same storm window attachments as the others. On the opposite eastern end of the house, which is comprised of Section A and C, there are two windows above the lean-to roof in Section A and two more in the Section C itself. There also appears to be a place near the northeast corner that once housed a door. Section A is sided with cedar shakes and Section C with the red wood slat material. There is also a tree located immediately against the northeast corner of Section C doing damage to the roof line.
The southern room contains a corner closet on the southwest wall not original to the structure, but somewhat old, and a door leading outside that has been nailed shut. There is also a large fireplace that sports a modern copper covering over the mantel. In the back of the fireplace one can see the outline of a Dutch oven that was sealed off at some unknown point (see photo below).
Legend holds that a Tory named Richard Bird was shot by patriots at this spot in the house through one of the windows while sitting on a woman’s lap. The upstairs of Section A, which must be accessed through a staircase on the western wall, is also divided into two sections with the southern room open and having no outstanding characteristics and the northern room made into a make-shift kitchen area. Above this area is the attic, which is accessed through a staircase at the west end of the room, is open and high enough to stand in.
Section B was likely built between the 1820s and 1850s and is much larger than Section A. This two-story addition can be entered through either the north or south entrances, both of which take you directly into a hallway that is roughly six feet across. As it is in Section A, there is a corner closet on the southwest wall not original to the structure. There is a bathroom entrance on the east side of the hall that protrudes into Section A that was installed in the 1920s as the first modern indoor plumbing by the Veeder family. A staircase on the northeast corner of the hall ascends to the upstairs area running parallel with the stairs for Section A that is divided by a wall. There is a shaft between the two that can be accessed at the top of the steps where large beams can be seen marked with Roman numerals that seem to exceed that unit of measurement’s standards where one marking was inscribed “VIIII” (see photo below) There are two rooms on the second floor that served as sleeping quarters and another two rooms in the attic area that is at full standing height. Downstairs there are two rooms with no outstanding characteristics except for an adjoining fireplace on the west end of each room. The floors throughout the structure are constructed of four inch wood slats that are severely worn. The floors themselves are very much uneven, especially on the first level.
In the wall at the top of the staircase on the second floor is an access port about three feet square that leads to an area rumored to once house runaway slaves during the Civil War period. The Centennial publication, “Berkeley Township: The First 100 Years,” exclaimed that “it has been established that negroes being transported north by the Civil War Underground Railway were hidden in the loft of the old house.” It is quite possible that the Anderson Farmhouse did serve as a point along the Underground Railroad and the hidden area would have certainly been an excellent place to hide human beings. Unfortunately, the author of the Berkeley book did not include any citations to follow up on and thus far all attempts by this author found absolutely no evidence supporting that claim. Despite the lack of proof, however, the rumor has persisted over the years and remains as a general belief to this day.
Section C, as noted earlier, is little more than a lean-to addition that runs the width of the entire structure and houses the furnace and water heater. Its floor is tremendously rotted and extremely dangerous to walk on. In the southeast corner is the access to the basement under Section A. The basement area has a dirt floor and several make-shit columns can be seen holding up the floor above it. One can also access the crawlspace area of Section B through a very small port on the adjoining wall.
In all, the Anderson House structure, although very dangerous in some places, appears to be quite stable for its age, but it would require a tremendous amount of money and engineering to restore the house to a usable and safe environment. An attempt was made in 2000 to secure funding for such a restoration prior to its sale to the present owners, but the efforts of the organization were thwarted by certain members of the local historical society, of all people, who felt for some unexplainable reason that the building should be torn down. It was an unfortunate turn of events for the Anderson Farmhouse, which has since continued to deteriorate, especially since there has been no climate control (heat or air conditioning) in it for roughly ten years now. The new owners have, as previously mentioned, agreed in principle to maintain the house, but sadly it is doubtful that such an effort will ever come to pass.
There is another structure on the premises that still stands. That building served as a business for Nobles Building supply from about 1966 to sometime in the 1990s. The structure was fashioned from a chicken house in the form of a t-shape and runs almost the full length of the property starting from behind the Anderson Farmhouse and ending about fifty feet from South Avenue. The actual dimensions of the structure are unknown. The front portion of the building is still intact, although very dangerous and falling down, and the back portion has completely collapsed under its own weight. The building was emptied out in 2000 and has remained so ever since. In addition to the building supply structure, there were many years ago a series of five or six smaller chicken coops that are now all extinct and the overall property has been overrun by weeds and vines (since this writing, the supply store structure has collapsed to the ground [see photo below taken by Erik Weber in 2010]).
Deed and Ownership Chronology
Attempting to work through the deeds and ownership of the Anderson Farm was challenging to say the least, especially since the property lines were in a constant state of change due to purchase and resale since it was wrested from the Native Americans who once inhabited the area. It appears that the property was originally portioned out to a series of owners from the East Jersey Proprietors, although it is hard to tell who exactly owned what tract since there is no way of retracing four hundred year old property lines with any precision. We do know that Sloop Creek, as it was named then and now, was used as a point of reference in many of the deeds, which tended to narrow the search down somewhat. The deeds themselves were found in Monmouth County prior to 1850 and in Ocean County after that date. Each deed was copied on site and later scanned into a digital format. Once digitized, each deed was then transcribed using Microsoft Word and then rechecked against the originals when questions arose about its wording. The transcribing process was painstaking because the original deeds were hand-written and often in the Old English syntax, which often made them difficult to understand. Once the deeds were transcribed the property lines were assumed using the directions given, although as previously mentioned, many of the points of reference are impossible to find today because the surveyors would often use tree stumps and the like as markers.
The oldest deed appearing to be related to the property was purchased by Ephraim Potter from Nicholas Wainwright for sixty pounds silver on March 1, 1704. It is unclear if this is a direct link to the property in question except to say that the deed mentions a river, which may or may not be Sloop Creek. Another ambiguous deed was dated July 25, 1754 from the East Jersey Proprietors to William and Thomas Chamberlain. This particular document was nearly impossible to read and not transcribed because it was determined that it did not reference the land in question. It did, however, mention a man by the name of William Chamberlain, who is thought to have built the original portion of the Anderson Farmhouse (Section A), and who is buried roughly 300 yards from the structure. William did have a brother named Thomas, but of course, there is no way of knowing if this William is the one in question. Chamberlain, who died in 1759, is buried next to his wife, Catherine Longstreet, and her second husband, Elias Anderson, who we know came into possession of the property and built the first addition (Section B).
It is unclear whether Chamberlain ever actually owned the farm property because no documents were found deeding the land to him. If Chamberlain did own the farm, odds are that Anderson acquired the land through his marriage to Chamberlain’s widow. Chamberlain’s will would likely settle things one way or another, but to date no such document has been found. We do know that his wife’s second husband did acquire the tract, where it stayed in the Anderson family until the late 1800s, and that it is for Elias that the farmstead is named, if for no other reason than longevity of ownership. A deed thought to specify the farmstead does exist between Gabriel Woodmansee and Elias Anderson dated April 4, 1769, but it does not mention any recognizable landmarks, such as Sloop Creek. Elias Anderson owned several properties in his lifetime, as evidenced by the Monmouth County deed reference book, and although this deed is clearly located in what is now Ocean County, it is not evident that it is the same property as the Anderson Farm.
Yet another deed involving Elias Anderson is dated March 22, 1787 which describes the purchase of land from Enoch Potter to Elias Anderson. As it was with the other deeds, ambiguity reigned supreme, but in this case, the name Enoch Potter becomes somewhat relevant. The land on which the Anderson Farm was built was located at that time in Monmouth County in the township of Shrewsbury and the town of Potters Creek. Enoch Potter is the man believed to have named the area Potters Creek, which later became Bayville. Whether the deed in question includes the Anderson Farm is unclear, but the tract of land it mentions was likely located at Good Luck from where Enoch Potter hailed.
All the deed evidence presented thus far has really proved nothing in terms of solid ownership and land transfer, but it has given us some names that were relevant to deed history. It also brings to mind the question of the age of Section A, where legend says it was built about 1696. If that were true, then it could not have been Chamberlain who built the structure since he was born in 1723. It is likely, however, that he did build the farmhouse since there is no evidence that other buildings ever existed in that area and Chamberlain and his wife would have had to have built some sort of domicile in which to survive. The latter being the likely scenario that would mean that Section A was probably built somewhere just prior to 1746, the year Chamberlain and Longstreet were married, and 1759, when William died at the age of thirty-six. We know that the house existed during the American Revolution based on the death of Richard Bird, who was shot to death probably sometime in the 1780s. Given that information, it is likely that Section A was built in the 1750s by Chamberlain making that structure still quite old indeed.
The ambiguity of land ownership thus far is a direct cause of the inability to properly retrace the survey lines as were laid out in the deeds, but after the death of Elias Anderson in 1805, there is a steady flow of evidence that clears things up a bit. While there is no known deed available, the land was transferred to Elias’s son, Elias L. Anderson, both of whom will be referred to from this point on as Sr. and Jr. accordingly to avoid name confusion. In Elias Sr.’s will, the deceased bequeathed to his son, Elias “all my lands, property and all my stock of cattle and hogs and sheep.” Elias Sr.’s wife, Catherine Longstreet Chamberlain, had died the year before on March 11, 1804, so there was no question that the land would go to his oldest child and only son. The will did not specify any survey information, but it can be assumed that the bequeathment included the Anderson Farm. Elias and Catherine Anderson had two daughters, Catherine and Elizabeth. There is no known information about Catherine, who is presumed to have died young, but Elizabeth is mentioned in the will and was bequeathed Elias’s “Negro girl Rachel until she arrives to the age of Eighteen years and then she is to be set free.” No other information concerning Elizabeth is known to exist.
The Anderson Farm remained in Elias Jr.’s possession until his death in 1841. Unlike his parent’s, Elias Jr. and his wife, Penelope Rogers had fourteen children. In his will, Elias Jr. bequeathed “to his sons Elijah and George W. Anderson, all my homestead farm plantation supposed to contain about two hundred and sixty two acres.” Of the fourteen children of Elias Jr., nine of them were males, leaving us to wonder why the older boys were not also willed the farm. As for his wife, Elias Jr. did not exclude her because he Penelope the farm of her late father, John Rogers. As for the other boys, we might draw the conclusion that there might have been some sort of rift between them and their father considering that he bestowed to each son only five dollars. What ever the state of their family affairs were at the time, Elias Jr. made it very clear who he favored amongst his boys.
More ambiguity can be seen in the form of a gap between Elias Jr.’s death and the death of his son, David Rogers Anderson, who passed away in 1848. Somehow David managed to gain ownership of the farm prior to his death, but his last request concerning who should get his land rights ended in a court battle and a very convoluted land sale. In the end, the Anderson Farm was divided with the farmhouse portion going to Elias Jr.s’ daughter, Lydia, who won with the highest bid of $3455.00. With the stroke of a pen, the Anderson homestead, once a sprawling and beautiful farm, was carved up and reduced to a paltry 159½ acres.
Lydia did not hold on to the farm for very long when for the first time in one hundred years the entire property left the Anderson family after she sold to Cornelius Lawrence in 1867. Lawrence came from a prominent family in New York and was a descendent of the infamous John Lawrence, surveyor of the East-West New Jersey line of 1743. Cornelius, who died in 1826, was a well loved man throughout Ocean County and especially in Potters Creek and a very successful businessman to boot. Exactly when the farm left his possession is unclear since the property was again divided around the turn of the 20th century. We do know that the Veeder Family acquired the farmhouse and surrounding land and lived in the structure until it was sold to Irving Nobles in 1962. The Veeder family, after forming the Bayshore Development Company, had grand plans for the property, including a major subdivision that called for the removal of the Anderson Farmhouse. Thankfully, those plans were never executed and the farmhouse was saved from the ravages of modern development.
On March 22, 1962, the Estate of David A. Veeder sold the Anderson Farmhouse property to the Poultrymen’s Services Corporation owned by Irving Nobles, who was the brother of Edith Nobles, widow of David Veeder. Mr. Nobles was a man of many talents and interests, both in society and in business, he being the proprietor of Nobles Produce Market on Main Street, Toms River, the building of which still stands today (see photo below). Upon assuming ownership of the Anderson Farmstead property, Nobles ran the Poultreymen's Service chicken farm, later switiching to a very successful hardware store business that closed after his health began to fail in the 1990s. Irving G. Nobles died in 1996 and left the property to his children, who sold the tract to Leone & Daughters Realty Management Corporation in 2004. That company has applied for subdivision rights, which are pending as of this writing.
ConclusionThe Anderson Farm will likely be subdivided and a housing tract developed on its back without any forethought to the aesthetic of its history. No attempt has been made since the death of Irving Nobles to stabilize the house, which grows steadily weaker with each passing winter and will likely in the end either be torn down or become the victim of a fire. It is sad that we will likely loose this rare piece of American history. Efforts have been made in the past to save the farmhouse, but resistance to it by several factions has prevented that from happening. If one were to ask the neighbors what should be done, the answer would be a resounding, “Yes! Save the old house! Time will tell the fate of the structure, but sadly odds are not in its favor. The current housing market is in a terrible downslide that might stave off the building of the housing tract, but that would not help the fact that the house has been left to rot with no heating or proper ventilation. The property is currently overrun by weeds and to look at the house, one could not help to wonder how it even remains standing. We can only hope that minds can be changed and monies found to save the Anderson Farmhouse before it is too late.
 Marilyn Kralik, Ocean County Historic Sites Inventory, (Toms River, NJ: Ocean County Cultural and Heritage Commission, 1981), Inventory Number 1505-03.
 A survey of Native American sites in Ocean County lists a place not far from the Anderson farm property named Scaly Pot that is said to have a rather large pile of seafood shells on its back. ________ “Ocean County Indian Site Survey,” Ocean County Historical Society Archives, p. 78:6.3.
 Debra Challoner, Phone Interview by Steven J. Baeli, January 16, 2007.
 Sloop Creek Road was named for Big Sloop Creek, one several tributaries located near the bay. Early settlers called it the bay road as it was a direct route to the shore.
 Selah Searcher, “Richard Bird Refugee,” Ocean Emblem, July 31, 1861, p. 3.
 According to Volkert Veeder, who grew up in the house, his father removed a section of the brick wall to install a doorway into the bathroom. The bricks that were removed were set outside of the house and immediately disintegrated when exposed to the rain. Volkert Veeder, Interview by Steven J. Baeli, Bayville, NJ, December 2000.
 Lucille D. Glosque, Berkeley Township: The First 100 Years, Bayville, NJ: Berkeley Township Centennial Commission, 1975, p. 8.
 Evidence of this cabal was witnessed by this author over the course of the year 2000.
 Nicholas Wainwright to Ephraim Potter, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB D, pp. 117-119, March 1, 1704.
 East Jersey Proprietors to William and Thomas Chamberlain, New Jersey State Archives, Survey/Warrant Book 3 (1749-1754), pp. 450-453, July 25, 1754.
 Gabriel Woodmansee to Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB Y, pp. 780-781,April 4, 1769.
 Enoch Potter to Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB I, pp. 365-366, March 22, 1787.
 Enoch was also the father of Thomas Potter, who founded American Universalism in Good Luck just two miles south of the Anderson Farm in the village of Good Luck, Lacey Township. Selah Searcher, “The Potter Church,” Ocean Emblem, November 22, 1866, p. 3.
 Last Will and Testament of Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Wills and Inventories, New Jersey State Archives, Film 8663M, Will of Monmouth 1805, Received and Dated February 5th, 1806.
 Last Will and Testament of Elias L. Anderson, Monmouth County Wills and Inventories, New Jersey State Archives, Film 10565M, Surrogate’s Office in the County of Monmouth, Book D of Wills Folios 3191c, February 11th, 1841.
 Minutes of Ocean County Orphans Court, New Jersey State Achieves, Book 1, Page 423, May 10, 1863.
 Chancery Court Deed to Lydia Anderson, Ocean County Deed Book 30, Pages 88-93, March 1, 1864.
 Lydia Anderson to Cornelius Lawrence Deed, Ocean County Deed Book 40, Pages 92-94, April 1, 1867.
 ______, Little Egg Harbor to Cocheton, New York, n.p. <http://www.surveyhistory.org/a_fine_old_line_across_new_jersey1.htm> 2007.
 ______, “Lawrence Burying Ground, Bayside, Long Island Burials 1832-1898,” n.p. <http://www.idreamof.com/cemetery/ny/longisland/lawrence.html>, 2001.
 ______, “Bayville Gardens Subdivision Map: Venice,” Ocean County Clerk’s Office, <http://www.oceancounty
 Veeder Estate to Poultrymen’s Service Corporation Deed, Ocean County Deed Book 215, Pages 199-203, April 27, 1962.
 Nobles Estate to Leone & Daughters Realty Management Corporation, Ocean County Deed Book 12170, Page 1278, July 14, 2004.
 Over the course of the last ten years, this author has spoken to numerous people in the surrounding the Anderson Farmhouse and their opinion about it was almost always in favor of saving the structure and restoring it to its colonial style.
________ “Ocean County Indian Site Survey,” Ocean County Historical Society Archives, p. 78:6.3.
Glosque, Lucille. Berkeley Township: The First 100 Years. (Bayville, NJ: Berkeley Township Centennial Commission, 1975), p. 8.
Kralik, Marilyn. Ocean County Historic Sites Inventory. (Toms River, NJ: Ocean CountyCultural and Heritage Commission, 1981). Inventory Number 1505-03.
Minutes of Ocean County Orphans Court, New Jersey State Achieves, Book 1, Page 423, May 10, 1863.
Chancery Court Deed to Lydia Anderson, Ocean County Deed Book 30, Pages 88-93, March 1, 1864.
Deeds by Date of Issue
Wainwright, to Ephraim Potter, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB D, pp. 117-119, March 1, 1704.
East Jersey Proprietors to William and Thomas Chamberlain, New Jersey State Archives, Survey/Warrant Book 3 (1749-1754), pp. 450-453, July 25, 1754.
Gabriel Woodmansee to Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB Y, pp. 780-781, April 4, 1769.
Enoch Potter to Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Hall of Records, MCDB I, pp. 365-366, March 22, 1787.
Lydia Anderson to Cornelius Lawrence Deed, Ocean County
Deed Book 40, Pages 92-94.
Veeder Estate to Poultrymen’s Service Corporation Deed, Ocean County Deed Book 215, Pages 199-203, April 27, 1962.
Challoner, Debra. Phone Interview by Steven J. Baeli. January 2007.
Veeder, Volkert. Interview by Steven J. Baeli. Bayville, NJ. December 2000.
______, “Bayville Gardens Subdivision Map: Venice,” Ocean County Clerk’s Office, <http://www.oceancountyclerk.com/wb_or1/details.asp?doc_id=1831999&file_num=B305&doc_status=V>, 1926.
______, “Lawrence Burying Ground, Bayside, Long Island Burials 1832-1898,” n.p.
______, Little Egg Harbor to Cocheton, New York, n.p. <http://www.surveyhistory.org/a_fine_old_line_across_new_jersey1.htm> 2007.
Ocean Emblem 1861–1866
Last Will and Testament of Elias Anderson, Monmouth County Wills and Inventories, New Jersey State Archives, Film 8663M, Will of Monmouth 1805, Received and Dated February 5th, 1806.
Nobles Estate to Leone & Daughters Realty Management Corporation, Ocean County Deed Book 12170, Page 1278, July 14, 2004.
Last Will and Testament of Elias L. Anderson, Monmouth County Wills and Inventories, New Jersey State Archives, Film 10565M, Surrogate’s Office in the County of Monmouth, Book D of Wills Folios 3191c, February 11th, 1841.