Even in today’s society hotel fires perhaps present more danger than the average blaze considering the large amount of people condensed into tightly spaced rooms, and whose temporary residents of which are not familiar with the layout of the building. In prior eras, particularly in the era of the wooden structured hotel, such fires often gave little or no chance of escape.
The Parry House – One such incident was that of the Parry House located in Beach Haven, the “last of the large hotel[s],” on Long Beach Island, which caught fire on August 11, 1881, about 3 a.m. when a chimney sparked the blaze.
The fire was first seen by a night watchman, who noticed that the flue connecting the hotel and the bakery next door was emitting flames and smoke. Together with the baker, the watchman attempted to put out the fire, but it quickly got away from them and began to spread.[i]
With no real means of putting out such a fire it spread fast through, the wooden structure and soon the shouts of “fire!” jolted the hotel guests from their sleep. Engulfed in flames as it was, that did not stop many people from trying to take their belongings with them, but the smoke, heat, and fire soon forced them to drop what they were carrying and run.[ii]
The St. James Hotel – Remarkably, there were no deaths in the Parry House fire, but the same cannot be said for the St. James Hotel Fire in Point Pleasant, which burned to the ground on September 19, 1888 taking with it the wife of Reverend H. Nye of Connecticut.[iii]
Once the fire was discovered the village came alive to the sounds of “locomotive whistles, the ringing of bells, and cries of ‘fire,’” and before long people began to head towards the hotel, which was located on the beach at the bottom of Arnold Avenue.
Luckily, the fire broke out in the early afternoon just as the guests were sitting down to eat their midday meal and all were able to make a hasty retreat save for poor Mrs. Nye, an elderly woman who was still up on the second floor when the alarm went out, and although a man attempting to go back to his room for his valuables saw her and told her to go downstairs, it was too late for her escape and she was caught in the flames. The man who attempted to help her had to jump from a window in order to escape certain death.
The fire began on the second floor in yet another defective flue origin and was helped along by winds from the west that fanned the flames of the structure that was wide open and unprotected on the beachfront.
Visitors to such venues in that era were often wealthy and would spend the entire summer at the shore, bringing many of their belongings and valuables with them stored in trunks. One such visitor was Wyatt Eaton, a famous portraiture artist credited as a founder of the Society of American Artists, who was badly injured when he attempted to return to his room and retrieve his effects.
Olson's Seafood with Edgewater Hotel sign to the right
(photo courtesy of the Island Height Cultural & Heritage Association)
The Island House – Located in Island Heights, the Island House was an expansive, five-story hotel that was once located at the bottom of Central Avenue on the northeast corner where it meets River Avenue across from the pavilion. It was built to accommodate the growing population of summer residents vacationing in Island Heights and served the community well over the years it existed.
There are various references in terms of the age of the structure, with one account reporting that it was built in 1850,[iv] one claiming 1874,[v] another stating 1876,[vi] yet another saying 1880,[vii] and still another contradicting itself by reporting both 1885 and the “1890s.”[viii] It is unlikely that the hotel was constructed in 1850 since the arrival of the Methodist Camp Meeting did not begin until 1878, an event that sparked the migration of the masses to the river town, so it was more likely built somewhere between the late 1870s and the mid-1880s when the vacationing population was much larger.
Sometime in the post-World War I period, the original name was changed to the Riverview Hotel, then again to the Old English Hotel, and then finally to the Edgewater Hotel,[ix] but regardless of the nomenclature, the resort house had a very unique and sometimes controversial history right up until the time it burned to the ground on December 4, 1986.
The hotel, which boasted “twenty-nine rooms,”[x] continued to accommodate both summer and winter residents until it began to show serious signs of age by the 1950s, after which its popularity began to wane. The first real controversy began about 1968[xi] when the Drug Addiction Rehabilitation Enterprise (DARE) Inc., bought the property and converted it to a rehabilitation center and half-way house for drug addicts.[xii] Citizens came out in droves against the idea, but all efforts by them and the council to stop it were futile.
DARE lasted several years, but then sold the property for $55,000 to a man named Paul D. Hedrich, who grew up in Island Heights a boy, and who had grand designs for rehabilitating the by-now severely dilapidated hotel and bring back the luster of its early years. Hedrich also owned the Beach Hut, a restaurant in nearby Point Pleasant Beach.
Once Hedrich cleared several code violations, the hotel reopened after only a few months of work on June 23, 1978 and now included a barbershop, a craft and gift shops, a flower shop, and of course a restaurant that he named the Bell, Book, and Candle,[xiii] where one could enjoy a lobster dinner for $12.95. Because Island Heights had started out as a temperance town, the borough remained dry, and still does today, so there was no liquor license available leaving diners to settle for bringing in their own spirits.[xiv]
Five of the rooms were occupied by year-round residents, and the rest by twelve restaurant employees. Throughout the entire building Hedrich placed old books and antique conversation pieces[xv] around to give the hotel an ancient feel. Many of those artifacts may have survived when much of the collection was auctioned off after Hedrich died in 1985 a year before the fire.[xvi]
The Island House Hotel
(photo courtesy of the Island Heights Cultural & Heritage Association)
By 1982, the building had again become a safety hazard and the borough threatened to raze the hotel if Hedrich did not comply with the forty-five code violations issued by Albert Gabriel, the borough’s code inspector. Mayor Joseph Bloom backed Gabriel, as did the council, when he reported that several people were living in the building illegally and that fire and health issues had become a real concern.[xvii]
The relationship between Hedrich and the townspeople had become strained when in 1979 he threw a birthday party marking what would have been Adolph Hitler’s 90th birthday.[xviii] The event did not go unnoticed, and the hotelier’s reputation as an upstanding resident all but diminished, leaving him little support when it came time to deal with the code violations.
In response to the verboten birthday celebration, several residents lodged complaints with borough authorities, and the police in turn launched an investigation. Tasteless as it was, however, throwing a birthday bash for a deceased dictator was not illegal, and so the investigation focused on potential violations of the borough’s liquor laws, but after five days the police found no evidence against Hedrich or the restaurant. Hedrich, of course, used the incident and the investigation to accuse everyone involved of harassment.[xix]
After Hedrich’ death on November 7, 1985, the Engleside property was sold to Beachwood resident, Jane E. Johnson, and her partner in the business deal, Toms River resident, Francis X. Halligan, who together worked toward restoring the hotel and making it into a bed-and-breakfast,[xx] hoping to break away from the distasteful reputation that its former owner had left them with.
Their dream was not to be, however, when the hotel caught fire starting in the basement area, and quickly spreading throughout the old wooden structure. Eight fire companies including Island Heights, Seaside Park, Beachwood, Manitou Park, Toms River, Silverton, and East Dover, responded to the call, but by the time they got to the scene the blaze had made its way to the roof, making it impossible to do anything but try to control the fire enough to contain it to the hotel property.[xxi]
The Marion Inn Postcard circa 1910
The Marion Inn – The Marion Inn in Toms River, owned by an eccentric comedic Vaudevillian, who went by the stage name of “Snuffy the Cabman,”[xxii] was destroyed in a fire on the evening of September 10, 1961.
Dave Marion (born David Marion Graves), enjoyed a stellar career in Vaudeville that spanned nearly sixty years of travelling around the world in various acts that were often touted as the “biggest box office attraction of the Columbia Burlesque circuit.,”[xxiii] Marion’s travels eventually brought him to Ocean County around the turn of the century, and taking a liking to the area, he decided to move there and soon laid plans to build a hotel across from the Ocean House, which he did in the early to mid-1910s. By 1918 “Snuffy the Cabman” had expanded the building from a small hotel on Water Street into an immense four story structure that took up the entire northern corner across Water Street from Main to Robbins Streets.[xxiv] The expanded hotel boasted fifty-three rooms and forty-one bathrooms, and also supported a restaurant and a string of retail outlets along the bottom floor on the street side.[xxv]
In 1926, Anthony M. Then purchased the hotel for $125,000, which was at the time “the biggest realty deal that [had] ever been recorded [in Ocean County].”[xxvi] He then sold the property in 1931 after his Ocean County Title Company business went into receivership.[xxvii] Seven years later, Then was sentenced along with Pinewald founder, Benjamin W. Sangor to two to three years in prison on embezzlement charges stemming from the theft of $68,000 from the estate of James D. Halton,[xxviii] where Anthony Then died of tuberculosis not long into his sentence.
In 1930, one year prior to the sale of the inn, a fire began in the “northeast corner of the hotel over the dining room, and ate thru [sic] the partition to the Edward Harris store, which, like the hotel, was filled with smoke.”[xxix] The fire was quickly contained, but smoke and water had damaged both the store and the hotel.
On evening of September 13, 1961, another fire broke out at the Marion Inn, this time resulting in the death of Teddy Altomerianos, the brother of Tommy Altomerianos, who was the owner of Tommy’s Restaurant across the street where the Ocean House once stood, and which also burned in the previously mentioned downtown fire in 1970. The victim owned Teddy’s Luncheonette located on the ground floor of the Marion Inn, the hotel itself having been closed for six months prior to the conflagration.[xxx]
While there were no official reports of suspicion of arson in the 1931 blaze, authorities immediately suspected that Altomerianos had set the fire that had killed him, although he died before they could get a confession from him. As he lay dying in Paul Kimball Hospital, Thomas Kennedy, a detective with the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, and special agent, George D. Scherff of the National Board of Fire Underwriters, questioned Altomerianos, who told them that he “saw someone running from the second story room in which he smelled gasoline [followed by] an explosion and fire.”[xxxi]
Investigators followed up Teddy Altomerianos story and found a gasoline can in the room that he described, but the suspect died before lab results could be obtained and they could question him again.
As firefighters at the scene battled the blaze they spotted Altomerianos “clinging to a window ledge as flames burned wood around him.”[xxxii] They were able to get him down safely and then successfully contained the fire to the room in which it had originated.
The 1961 fire at the Marion Inn saw the eventual end to an era when it was later razed. The lot where the inn once stood now serves as a private parking lot for what was once the Ocean County Observer building located next door on Robbins Street.
The Marion Inn Postcard circa 1918
Firefighter Fatalities – There have been a great many fires that have taken the lives of Ocean County’s citizens, including the tragic house fire in 1969 in the Manitou Park section of Berkeley Township that killed Alfreda Dillard and her young children, Estelle, Garrick, Katrina, Michael, and Nicole after a faulty heating unit malfunctioned.[xxxiii] A similar fire in the Cosmic Boutique and Gift Shop on Route 37 in Toms River burned that wooden structure beyond repair and took the life of a young woman named Margaret “Peggy” Burkert on December 7, 1975.[xxxiv]
While all death is tragic, especially when children are the victims, it is particularly sad as well when firemen perish since they died heroically and selflessly in the line of duty.
One such death was that of twenty-two year old Harry Lee Carter, a young fireman who died from injuries sustained from a falling chimney while fighting a house fire in Barnegat on March 4, 1912.
The fire began on East Bay Avenue in the same vicinity as the 1882 village fire, originating at the home of Henry Pole, the owner of the property who lived with his family above the pool hall that he operated on the ground floor.[xxxv]The early Monday morning fire was the result of an explosion of unknown origin about 1 a.m. that “woke all the neighborhood,”[xxxvi] but was rumored not to have been immediately reported because Pole was said to have fled to the home of Louis Abramowitz for an unknown reason instead of sounding the alarm.
Harry Carter had been assigned as a nozzleman along with Ezra Parker when a forty-foot high chimney began to collapse under its own weight and aimed straight at the men as it came down. Both boys fled and Parker got out in time, but Carter got caught up in a bush and fell, giving the falling debris time to catch up to him, crushing his leg to splinters in the process.[xxxvii]
Carter was rushed to Hanneman Hospital in Philadelphia, but by the time he arrived life was fading from him and the doctors did not want to amputate the leg until they could stabilize him. Unfortunately, gangrene quickly set in forcing them to remove the leg the following Thursday,[xxxviii] which ultimately resulted in the young man’s death.
The fires of the past were still fresh in the minds of the townspeople, who immediately became suspicious of Pole, who they understood was new to the area and who they knew carried a fair amount of insurance on his property. His failure to immediately sound the alarm also raised concerns, but in the end there was no evidence that the fire was intentional or that Pole had simply taken advantage of a bad situation.
Funeral procession of Harry Lee Carter
The funeral of Harry Carter was held on March 11th during which many people turned out. Firemen from around the area also attended, as did the Barnegat Fire Company, each member following the procession down to the Masonic Cemetery on West Bay Avenue and after giving a heart wrenching memorial service his brothers-in-arms each “dropped a white carnation on the coffin.”[xxxix]
1953 forest fire that burned Beachwood Borough
(photo from the Ocean County Sun, April 23, 1953)
Forest fires often result in the deaths of firefighters given their size and the multitude of variables that can suddenly shift the flames in the direction of the firemen and surround them before they have time to react.
One such fire occurred on July 22, 1977, when four men from the Eagleswood Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call in the Bass River State Forest just over the Ocean County border into Burlington County.The men, Fire Chief, Harold “Skip” Cranmer, Jr., Assistant Chief, Marcus Parker Cullen, Jr., and firemen Herbert E. Blackwell, Jr. and John “Reds” Baker drove their company’s “specially equipped 10-wheel tank truck”[xl] into the woods in the late afternoon, and within an hour the wind had shifted and trapped the men inside the inferno.[xli]
The charred remains of the truck were later found by air search. At the grizzly scene it was discovered that the men had apparently tried to flee, but two of the victim had only made it thirty-five feet from the tanker and the other two firemen some 600 feet way.[xlii]
Other great forest fires have taken many lives over the years, including the great Chatsworth fire on May 25, 1936, which burned 133 square miles of woods and took the lives New Jersey State Fire Wardens, Ira Morey and Kingsley White, and firemen Stanley “Smokey” Carr, John LaSalle, and Edward Sullivan.[xliii]
A similar fire on April 10, 1955 in the Lakehurst-Whiting area of Ocean County took the life of New Jersey Forest Fire District Firewarden, George A. Herbert, who found himself trapped in the flames after his fire truck got caught up on a tree stump. Herbert managed to escape the Easter Sunday inferno, but his burn injuries were severe and he died in the hospital the next day.[xliv]
Prisoners sit tight as they watch the fire burn the jail
Ocean County Jail Fire – The history of the Ocean County jail is long and varied, its problems often involving issues such as the structure being unsafe or rife with poor health conditions, but a fire that took place on August 23, 1959 brought to light many problems that some had predicted not long before.
A year prior to the tragedy conditions at the jail were considered by some as “abominable,”[xlv] as overcrowding forced inmates to crowd into small cells and sleep on the floor. About that same time there were talks of building a new county jail to replace the old one, but before plans could be formulated tragedy struck and eight inmates were killed and twelve inmates and firemen were injured.In March of 1959, the New Jersey Courier reported that the jail was “so overcrowded that some prisoners are sleeping on the floor and others have been sent to neighboring counties.”[xlvi] The article pointed out that there were currently seventy-four men being housed in a jail meant to hold twenty-eight people, and that thirteen of those men had to sleep on the floor because there were not enough beds for them all,[xlvii] all of which set the stage for the tragedy that would occur just five months later.
The fire itself started when an inmate named General Petersen was given a lit cigarette by jail trustee, Buenos White, which he used to start the blaze by spilling a “highly volatile”[xlviii] liquid tranquilizer on it. The liquid exploded and set Petersen on fire as well as the padded cell he was being held in while awaiting transfer to the state mental hospital in Marlboro Township.
Firemen tore the doors off of the barred cells to get prisoners to safety
Once set, the flames quickly spread to the padded walls, which created a thick smoke that filled a nearby cell where seven men suffocated to death. Among those victims was Adam Bodzan, 42, of Atlantic City, who was serving a 90-day sentence for disorderly persons; Joseph Booker, 45, of Delaware, serving a sentence for stealing whiskey from Willows Hotel in Lakewood; Thomas Arthur Hughes, 38, of Philadelphia, forgery, William Charles Lehmann 21, who was stationed at Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, was serving a sentence for committing a holdup and robbery in New Egypt; Wilson Calvin Letts, 19, of Stafford Township, who was awaiting Grand Jury on pending charges of sodomy, rape and carnal abuse; Stephen Joseph Wolf, Jr., 30, of Manasquan serving time for passing bad checks;[xlix] and Richard Franklin Cavileer, Jr. 22 of Money Island, who was awaiting sentencing for the brutal beating murder of his 18 month old daughter, Deborah Lee Cavileer.[l]
During the course of the blaze, a second explosion occurred as four firemen and a Navy man attempted to make their way up a flight of stairs, which threw them back by the force of the blast. Shipfitter 2nd Class, Gerald Lau, who had happened to be visiting his parents at their home on Hooper Avenue across the street from the jail, had come to aid those trapped in the fire, but had caught the full effect of the flash. He managed to crawl to safety, but not before receiving 1st and 2nd degree burns on his head and torso.[li] Lau recovered from his burns and was considered one of the many heroes in the tragedy, and he was also recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts.[lii]
Photographs of the victims who died in their cell
(From the New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959)
The political atmosphere surrounding the fire became intense as a Democratic candidate for sheriff, Alexander R. Bolen,[liii] and for Freeholder, Robert F. Novins, laid blame for the fire and the deaths at the feet of the freeholders,[liv] who denied any wrongdoing despite their inability to address the situation at the jail even at the behest of Sheriff Harry Roe, who had begged the Board to correct the problems. The freeholders, however, did manage to vote themselves a raise at the same meeting that they denied any culpability in the tragedy.[lv]
Entrance to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, NJ
(photo by Steven J. Baeli, 2012)
Great Adventure Haunted Castle – Perhaps the most striking fire in memory involving fatalities was the Haunted Castle fire at Great Adventure that took place on May 11, 1984 in which eight teenagers were killed[lvi] before they could escape the toxic smoke and flames of the inferno that was determined to have been inadvertently set by a fourteen year old boy using a disposable lighter to find his way in the dark.[lvii]
The fire also brought to light the lack of solid laws for amusement parks meant to protect the public from such disasters.[lviii] One example that stood out was the Great Adventure funhouse, which was not inspected because the “law didn’t require it,”[lix] opening what some believed to be an opportunity for safety code violations to exist, including the lack of smoke detectors, emergency exit lights,[lx] and sprinklers.[lxi] The structure was also constructed sans construction permits because a building inspector had interpreted the law to exclude such a building from having to apply for the proper building and occupancy permits.[lxii] In the end, the tragedy saw a spate of new amusement park fire and safety laws and prompted Great Adventure to install proper fire systems.[lxiii]
Despite declaring the fire an accident, charges of aggravated manslaughter were sent down by a Grand Jury brought against Great Adventure and two of its general managers,[lxiv] both of whom were admitted into the pretrial intervention program and given probation, which was satisfied by the courts in 1986.[lxv]
The Historic Forked River House in the 1970s
(photo courtesy of the Ocean County Cultural & Heritage Commission)
The Forked River House – Until its demise by fire on April 26, 1992, the Forked River House was one of the oldest structures still in use in Ocean County and was considered an historic landmark as well. The original smaller portion of the building was constructed about 1820 by retired sea captain, Edward Logan,[lxvi] and over the decades had grown larger via a series of additions that connected two buildings.[lxvii]
The historic inn was located on Route 9 (also known as Main Street), in the Forked River section of Lacey Township, and served as a stagecoach stop for travelers who had grown weary of navigating the dirt highway’s treacherous path back when it was called the Old Shore Road. Perhaps its most famous visitor was President Woodrow Wilson, who stayed at the nearby Greayhound Inn and is said to have also patronized the Forked River House[lxviii] in 1916.[lxix]
The Forked River House was owned by George Mackres, who purchased the property about 1968. Mackres, who also owned the Sea Pine Inn in Waretown, Ocean Township, later partnered with is daughter, Faye Roeber, and her husband, David, to open the Historic Forked River House, which they ran as a bar and restaurant. The inn at that time seated fifty-four customers at the bar as well as over twenty-five tables and booths.[lxx]
In 1978, Mackres, while still maintaining ownership of the property, contracted with George, Michael, and Peter Tyris, three brothers who pooled their money to purchase the restaurant.[lxxi] They later sold the restaurant to Anwar F. Ghali, who owned it for a short time in the mid-1980s before selling it back to the Tyris brothers.[lxxii] The restaurant was in operation under the name “Rena Inc.,”[lxxiii] which was owned by the Tyris family at the time of the fire.
President Woodrow Wilson drives through Forked River in a horse-drawn carriage circa 1916
Two months prior to the fatal fire, a flood damaged the interior of the inn after Richard Gardner, a plumber and insurance adjuster, intentionally ruptured a water line and broke holes through the walls into a bathroom. The water ran for “up to four hours,”[lxxiv] and was meant to purposely damage the bathroom so that an insurance claim could be made.
Gardner later testified in court that he was hired by Peter Tyris, who had by that time bought out his two brothers’ share of the restaurant, to flood the bathroom so that it could be included in an insurance claim to Tyris’s carrier, Lloyds of London.[lxxv]
Tyris was charged with conspiracy and filing a false insurance claim in the amount of $118,000 using the “interstate telephone lines and the postal system.”[lxxvi] He was found guilty of the former charges and sentenced to a year and a day in state prison for his actions in the case. Gardner pleaded guilty and received an eight month sentence and a $30,000 fine for restitution in return for his testimony.[lxxvii]
The fire alarm was sound about 4:00 a.m., with the local fire department arriving minutes later and others from across the county soon joining them in the fight. The fire burned for almost five hours before firefighters were able to bring it under control, the ruble smoldering long after the flames had subsided.[lxxviii] Low water pressure impeded the effort, which allowed the fire to engulf the entire building within an hour.[lxxix]
Not unlike the Haunted Castle at Great Adventure, the Forked River House also did not have a sprinkler system,[lxxx] this time the result of a bargain that Peter Tyris struck with state fire and safety officials, who had allowed him to limit the number of patrons allowed in the restaurant in return for not having to install a sprinkler system.[lxxxi] Such a deal proved to be a grave mistake in the end, as seventy-two year old, Kiriaki "Kiki" Tyris, mother of the Tyris brothers, and forty year old, Vasile Vlaicu, a recently hired chef,[lxxxii] both perished in the fire.
The upstairs of the restaurant housed apartments, where people were living illegally according to Lacey Township officials. Four of those residents escaped to the roof of the burning building and were safely rescued by firefighters.[lxxxiii]
The inferno was officially considered a case of arson according to county investigators, John H. Lightbody and John Mount, Jr.[lxxxiv] Investigators from Lloyds of London also came to the same conclusion, but neither agency would release specifics on the origins of the blaze because, as county arson head, Sgt. H. Lawrence Wilson said, “the only people who [knew how the fire started was] the person who set the fire and the people who investigated it.”[lxxxv] Because there is no statute of limitations on homicide that is not likely to change as long as the case remains open. The deaths of Tyris and Vlaicu are still considered unsolved homicides by the Ocean County Prosecutors office[lxxxvi] as of this writing.
The Tyris brothers later filed a $600,000 claim for the fire with their insurance carrier, but Lloyds of London balked and denied it, prompting the brothers to file suit in the courts, which initially sided with them, but the appellate court later ruled that the “jury's finding that the brothers had set or arranged the fire,”[lxxxvii] was accurate.In 1998, after years of litigation, the owners of the property were finally able to rebuild on the lot that was once home to the original Forked River House,[lxxxviii] which had survived 172 years only to be destroyed by what appeared to be greed. The new stone building that replaced it is modern in its appearance and holds no reminiscence of its more magnificent predecessor.
[i] ________, “The Fire at Beach Haven,” New Jersey Courier, August 17, 1881, p. 3.
[iii] ________, “Fire and Loss of Life,” New Jersey Courier, September 19, 1888, p. 3.
[iv] Hotel Bought for Restoration, Asbury Park Press, 1977.
[v] Anthony A. Gallotto, Farewell to One of the River’s Grandest, Asbury Park Press, December 7, 1986.
[vi] A Rough Week for County Landmarks, Asbury Park Press, December 8, 1986.
[vii] Island House Photograph Caption, Island Heights Cultural & Heritage Archives, date unknown.
[viii] Borough to Consider Demolishing Hotel, Asbury Park Press, January 29, 1982.
[ix] Anthony A. Gallotto, Farewell to One of the River’s Grandest, Asbury Park Press, December 7, 1986.
[x] Hotel Bought for Restoration, Asbury Park Press, 1977.
[xi] Anthony A. Gallotto, Farewell to One of the River’s Grandest, Asbury Park Press, December 7, 1986.
[xii] Hotel Bought for Restoration, Asbury Park Press, 1977.
[xiii] Fast Moving Blaze Guts Hotel in Island Heights, Asbury Park Press, December 5, 1986, p. A1.
[xiv] Hotel’s Owner Disregarded Advice, Converted Restaurant, Asbury Park Press, July 30, 1978, p, B4.
[xvi] Fast Moving Blaze Guts Hotel in Island Heights, Asbury Park Press, December 5, 1986, p. A1.
[xvii] Borough To Consider Demolishing Hotel, Asbury Park Press, January 28, 1982.
[xix] Fast Moving Blaze Guts Hotel in Island Heights, Asbury Park Press, December 5, 1986, p. A1.
[xxi] Fast Moving Blaze Guts Hotel in Island Heights, Asbury Park Press, December 5, 1986, p. A1.
[xxii] ________, “Dave Marion Dead: Snuffy the Cabman,” New York Times, September 16, 1934, p. 38F.
[xxiii] ________, “Dave Marion Dead: Snuffy the Cabman,” New York Times, September 16, 1934, p. 38F.
[xxiv] ________, “A.M. Then Bought Marion Inn From Mrs. Dave Marion,” New Jersey Courier, December 12, 1926,
[xxvi] ________, “A.M. Then Bought Marion Inn From Mrs. Dave Marion,” New Jersey Courier, December 12, 1926,
[xxvii] ________, “Newman Is Receiver, Ewart Is Counsel of Ocean Co. Title Co.,” New Jersey Courier, November 13,
1931, p. 1.
[xxviii] ________, “Ex-Bankers Go To Prison,” New York Times, February 1, 1938, p. 1.
[xxix] ________, “Marion Inn and the Harris Store Scene of Stubborn Fire,” New Jersey Courier, November 21, 1930,
[xxx] ________, “Marion Inn Hotel Fire Fatal to Altomerianos, Luncheonette Operator,” New Jersey Courier,
September 14, 1961, p. 1.”
[xxxiii] Joe Adelizzi, “Among Gravestones Memories Live On,” Asbury Park Press, October 11, 2012, p. B1.
[xxxiv] ________, “Rescuers Fail – Dover Woman is Dead in Fire,” Ocean County Observer, December 8, 1975, p. 1.
[xxxv] ________, “Youth Loses Leg and May Die from Effects,” New Jersey Courier, March 7, 1912, p. 1.
[xxxvi] ________, “Barnegat Lad, Hurt at Fire, Died as Leg is Amputated,” New Jersey Courier, March 14, 1912, p. 1.
[xxxvii] ________, “Youth Loses Leg and May Die from Effects,” New Jersey Courier, March 7, 1912, p. 1.
[xxxviii] ________, “Barnegat Lad, Hurt at Fire, Died as Leg is Amputated,” New Jersey Courier, March 14, 1912, p. 1.
[xl] William Aaronson, “Strong Winds Blamed in Fire Death,” Bass River Gazette, Issue no. 20, Special October,
2006 Edition, p. 7.
[xliii] ________, “1936 05.25 N J Bass River,” Always Remember Website <http://www.wlfalwaysremember.org/
[xliv] Informational memorial sign at Lake Horicon Park, Lakehurst, New Jersey, 2013.
[xlv] ________, “Bieger Hits County Officials on ‘Abominable’ Jail Conditions,” New Jersey Courier, September 9,
1958, p. 1.
[xlvi] ________, “County Jail Crowded, 13 Men Sleep on Floor,” New Jersey Courier, March 12, 1969, p. 1.
[xlviii] ________, “Trustee Admits Giving Man Smoke,” New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959, p. 1.
[xlix] ________, “Grand Jury to Investigate Jail Fire That Takes 8 Lives,: New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959, p. 1.
[l] ________, “Father Admits Brutal Beating, Tot Near Death,” New Jersey Courier, July 30, 1959, p. 1.
[li] ________, Gerald Lau, Hero of Jail Fire, Recommended for Highest Honor,” New Jersey Courier, August 27,
1959, p. 1.
[lii] ________, “Lau Is Improving, Off Critical List,” New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959, p. 1.
[liii] ________, “Democratic Sheriff Candidate Says Jail ‘Woefully Undermanned’,” New Jersey Courier, August 27,
1959, p. 1.
[liv] ________, “Novins Says Freeholders Were ‘Derelict’ on Jail Facilities,” New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959,
[lv] ________, “Freeholders Disclaim Blame, Give Themselves Pay Increase,” New Jersey Courier, August 27, 1959,
[lvi] Don Bennett, “Officials Seek to Identify Eight Theme Park Victims,” Ocean County Observer, May 13, 1984,
[lvii] Anthony Gallotto, “Fire Cause Determined; Youth is Sought,” Ocean County Observer, May 20, 1984, p. 1.
[lviii] Carol Morello and Susan FitzGerald, “Amusement Park Laws Are Spotty,” Philadelphia Inquirer, May 16, 1984,
[lix] Paul Horvitz and Susan Fitzgerald, Haunted Castle Never Inspected by State Because Law Didn’t Require It,”
Philadelphia Inquirer, May 13, 1984, p. A15.
[lx] Anthony Gallotto, “Senators Have Sharp Words for Jackson Park,” Ocean County Observer, May 15, 1984, p. 1.
[lxi] ________, “Citing Boy’s Report, Official Calls Castle Fire Accident,” Philadelphia Inquirer, May 19, 1984, p. 1.
[lxii] Anthony Gallotto, “Fire Cause Determined; Youth is Sought,” Ocean County Observer, May 20, 1984, p. 1.
[lxiii] Anthony Gallotto, “Six Flags Unveils Fire Safety System,” Ocean County Observer, October 10, 1984, p. 1.
[lxiv] Don Bennett, “Jury Indicts Great Adventure in Fatal Fire,” Ocean County Observer, September 16, 1984, p. 1.
[lxv] Associated Press, “2 Six Flags Executives Finish Program,” Philadelphia Inquirer, March 8, 1986, p. B4.
[lxvi] Jean Mikle and Lyle Dexter, “In Its 172 Years, Lacey House Visited by President, Captains,” Asbury Park Press,
April 27, 1992, p. 1.
[lxvii] Marilyn Kralik, “Forked River House/Main Street, Forked River,” New Jersey Historic Structure Survey, Ocean
County, 1513-L2, 1980.
[lxviii] Jean Mikle and Lyle Dexter, “In Its 172 Years, Lacey House Visited by President, Captains,” Asbury Park Press,
April 27, 1992, p. 1.
[lxix] ________, “President Wilson Visits Forked River,” New Jersey Tribune, September 9, 1916, Article reprinted on
[lxx] Rosa Girianni, “Forked River House Rises From the Ash – Eatery Reopens After 6 Years,” Ocean County
Observer, July 12, 1998, p. 1.
[lxxii] Jean Mikle and Lyle Dexter, “In Its 172 Years, Lacey House Visited by President, Captains,” Asbury Park Press,
April 27, 1992, p. 1.
[lxxiii] ________, “Burned Restaurant Owners Sue Insurer,” Ocean County Observer, January 29, 1993, p. 1.
[lxxiv] Cori Natoli, “Plumber Implicates Lacey Township, N.J., Restaurant Owner in Insurance Scheme,” Tribune
Business News, February 24, 1998, p. 1.
[lxxvi] ________, “Staged Flood Gets Plumber 8-Month Term,” Asbury Park Press, June 29, 1999, p. 1.
[lxxviii] Kirk Moore and Jean Mickle, “2 Die As Fire Levels Historic Site,” Asbury Park Press, April 27, 1992, p. 1.
[lxxix] Richard Peterson, “Blaze Destroys Forked River House,” April 27, 1992, Ocean County Observer, p. 1.
[lxxx] Patricia Miller, “Landmark Restaurant Lacked Fire Sprinkler,” Asbury Park Press, May 1, 1992, p. B3.
[lxxxi] Patricia Miller, “Restaurant Owner Had Sprinkler Agreement,” Asbury Park Press, May 3, 1992, B3.
[lxxxii] ________, “New Leads Sought in 1992 Fatal Fire,” Asbury Park Press, April 26, 2002, p. 1.
[lxxxiv] Susan Decker, “Arsonist Faces Murder Rap,” Ocean County Observer, June 14, 1992, p. 1.
[lxxxv] Susan Decker, “Probers Still On Trail of Arsonist in Fatal Inn Fire,” Ocean County Observer, December 1, 1993,
[lxxxvi] ________, “New Leads Sought in 1992 Fatal Fire,” Asbury Park Press, April 26, 2002, p. 1.
[lxxxvii] ________, “Staged Flood Gets Plumber 8-Month Term,” Asbury Park Press, June 29, 1999, p. 1.
[lxxxviii] Rosa Girianni, “Forked River House Rises From the Ash – Eatery Reopens After 6 Years,” Ocean County
Observer, July 12, 1998, p. 1.