Rudolph "Rudy" Koenig, Jr., Owner of the Cedar Bridge Tavern
May 30, 1925-January 12, 2012
“Rudy” as he was known to everyone, was a native of Brooklyn, New York, where he attended primary school before enlisting in the United States Navy in 1943. His bravery aboard PT Boat 114 in the Philippine Islands earned him several medals, including the Bronze Star, given for “heroic or meritorious achievement or service.”
After his discharge from the Navy in 1946, Mr. Koenig was employed as a linesman for Atlantic Electric Company until his retirement in 1980.
He resided for several years in Tuckerton, New Jersey, before purchasing the historic Cedar Bridge Tavern property in Barnegat in 1961, always joking that he moved to the desolate pinelands home because “it was getting too crowded down in Tuckerton.”
Rudy was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers for sixty years; All Hands, a veteran’s group associated with the PT Boats, Bases, Tenders Preservation Museum; Elks Lodge 2340, Manahawkin; and Moose Lodge 1575, Beach Haven. He was also featured in a full-page Goodall tire advertisement in 1977.
He was predeceased by his mother, Fannie Smergut, his father, Rudolph Koenig, Sr., and his step-father, Joseph Gerbitz.
Cremation was private, and there was no service, but a ceremony honoring his commitment to American history for his restoration work on the tavern will be held during the 2012 Cedar Bridge Ceremony, at which time his ashes will be placed on the property, and a shadow box with his World War II photo and his military medals will be put on permanent display in the tavern.